User Provided Information
We may collect three types of information that users provide when interacting with our Sites or through Other Communications:
- Personal Information - information that identifies (whether directly or indirectly) a particular individual, such as the individual’s name, home and seasonal mailing addresses, personal and work email address, and telephone number. When anonymous information is directly or indirectly associated with personal information, the resulting information also is treated as personal information.
- Anonymous Information - information that does not directly or indirectly identify, and cannot reasonably be used to identify, an individual.
- Aggregate Information - we may use personal and de-identified or anonymous information to create a third type of information - aggregate information. Aggregate information means information about groups or categories of individuals, which does not identify and cannot reasonably be used to identify an individual.
For example, we collect:
- Information you provide when you create an account, register for an event or activity, apply for a job, contact us, or engage in any other method of submission, such as your first and last name, personal and work email address, full work, home and seasonal mailing addresses, home, work and/or mobile telephone number, work and employment histories, username, password and any other information, preferences, content, files or media you submit as part of that form;
- Transaction information you provide when you make a donation or pay for an event or activity, such as first name, last name, full mailing address, telephone number, and payment information;
- Information you provide in forums on our Sites and applications, such as your posts, images, videos, documents or any other materials shared;
- Information sent either one-to-one or within a limited group using our message, chat, post, or similar functionality, where we are permitted by applicable law to collect this information;
- Information we obtain from a third party, such as a site or platform provider, about use of our applications on third-party sites or platforms;
- Location information, including location information provided by a mobile or other device interacting with one of our Sites or applications (including through beacon technologies), or associated with your IP address, where we are permitted by law to process this information;
- Activity information about your use, and the use by any person(s) you authorize through your account, of our Sites and applications, such as the content you view or post, how often you use our services, and your preferences; and
- Usage, viewing, technical, and device data when you visit our Sites, use our applications on third-party sites or platforms, or open emails we send, including your browser or device type, unique device identifier, and IP address.
A cookie is a text file sent by a web server and placed on your computer by your web browser. Cookies can be divided into two different types: session and persistent. Session cookies differ from persistent cookies primarily in that session cookies are temporary and expire and are normally typically deleted when you close your browser. Persistent cookies, in contrast, remain stored on your computer after you close your browser until they are deleted either because they expire or you delete them. JFNA may use session cookies and persistent cookies in connection with providing our Sites.
You may instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, part of the Sites may function differently and not as well and you may not be able to use some portions of our Sites.
The types of cookies we may use are:
- Session Cookies. We may use session cookies to operate our Site and for security purposes.
- Persistent Cookies. We may use persistent cookies to remember your preferences and various settings.
Cookies are often used in conjunction with other Internet technologies, such as web beacons or pixels, to understand behavior on the Internet.
Although we use the services of third parties in connection with these cookies, we do not allow the third-party service provider to use personal information about the users of our Sites for their own purposes.
Website Performance Analysis
Google Analytics: We use Google Analytics, which is provided by Google Inc. Google Analytics cookies help us improve our website by providing us with aggregate statistics on how many users visit it, which parts of the site are viewed the most, the city or regional location of those users, device type and browser. These cookies do not identify you personally. Nevertheless, if you prefer to prevent Google from collecting data generated by cookies and relating to your use of the website (including your IP address) as well as from processing this data by Google by downloading and installing the Browser Add-on on https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en
Facebook Pixel: We use Facebook Pixel, which is provided by Facebook, Inc. Facebook Pixel cookies help us to measure the return on investment of Facebook Ads by reporting on the actions people take after viewing those ads. We create pixels that track conversions, add them to the pages of their website where the conversion will happen and then track these conversions to ads they are running on Facebook. No personal information is contained or collected as a result of using these cookies or pixels. If you want to opt out of Facebook Pixel cookies, please use the following link: http://optout.networkadvertising.org/?c=1
Session cookies will expire whenever you close your browser or shut down your computer, and such cookies need not be blocked. Persistent cookies used for specific purposes as described above will expire when that purpose is no longer required, such as when a survey closes.
You can find out more about how to block cookies in specific browsers at http://aboutcookies.org.
Uses of Personal Information
We may use the information that is not personally identifiable to analyze the design and functioning of our site in order to make site improvements. We may use such information in the aggregate to analyze site usage.
Sharing of Personal Information
We do not sell, rent, swap or trade your personal information. We may share your personal information with JFNA’s member Jewish Federations, with other not-for-profit organizations that collaborate with JFNA to further our charitable mission, or as otherwise described at the point where we collect the information from you for the purposes described in this policy statement. We will share your personal information in the event that it is necessary for any of the following reasons:
- to protect our rights or property or the safety of our employees or others;
- to comply with any court order, legal process, or respond to any governmental or regulatory request;
- to transfer information in the event of a merger, transfer of assets, or other organizational restructuring; and/or
- to prevent, or take other action regarding actual or suspected illegal or fraudulent activities or potential threats to the physical safety or well-being of any person.
We also use trusted third-party service providers or other third-party organizations helping to support our mission by collecting, storing, processing, or sharing personal information on our behalf, such as to complete your donations and other payments you make to JFNA. We engage with third parties to assist with supporting our operations and business needs, including vendors in the following areas: (i) credit card or payment processors; (ii) cloud storage providers; (iii) customer support tools; (iv) data collection platforms; (v) product development tools; (vi) IT and security providers; (vii) marketing tools; (viii) relationship management platforms; and (ix) analytics tools.
We will honor your choices concerning our collection, use, or sharing of personal information about you. For example, if you receive email communications from us (e.g., newsletters and communications regarding our services) but do not wish to receive further information, you may “opt out” of receiving such by following the instructions contained in those email messages. If you registered for an account on one of our Sites, whether to sign up for an event or otherwise, at any time you may request that we deactivate your account. You may also choose what information you supply when creating an account, registering for events, or otherwise interacting with us through the Sites. At any time, you may change your browser cookie settings, and you may also contact us to deactivate your account and stop receiving marketing or other communications at email@example.com.
Our Sites use appropriate procedures to ensure the security of your personal information and to protect it from unauthorized access. In particular, when we ask you to enter credit card information, we use the top industry standard security protection, encryption, Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) transmission connection, and a secure server for information storage.
JFNA is committed to maintaining your confidence and trust, and we take reasonable security measures to protect your information, including the use of appropriate physical, technical, and administrative controls. However, no security system is impenetrable, and no transmission or electronic storage of information is guaranteed to be secure. We therefore urge you to always use caution when transmitting information over the Internet.
The Sites are not intended for children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect or store any personal information about children under 13 years of age through the Sites, unless provided by a parent, guardian, or other adult seeking our services on behalf of a child.
We are based in the United States. The information you submit to us and that we automatically collect as a result of your using the Sites will be transferred to the United States, where the privacy and data protection rules may differ from those in your country. By using our Sites, you consent to the international transfer to, and storage of, your personal information in the United States.
The Jewish Federations of North America
Wall Street Station
PO Box 157
New York, NY 10268